Saturday, February 27, 2021

Quilts from Alaska for our Kids


Patty King reached out to our church to see if she could distribute these children's quilts on March 13th between 9am to noon. We of course said YES!!! Here is what Patty posted on Facebook about the quilts.

"It's a quilt Iditarod!!!!!!! When we were evacuated and the inferno was rendering so many of our children and youth homeless, I contacted my Alaskan quilt-queen sister to ask for quilts for our kids. My quilt-queen sister asked her Alaskan quilting and sewing group buddies for quilts for our kids. This delightful bunch of people, living on the Kenai Peninsula,, Alaska, met that challenge in a big way - they donated 66 quilts. My family in Alaska crated them and shipped them to Seattle, where my daughter retrieved them. With the help of Barbara Lockwood, Tim Hoff picked them up from my daughter in Seattle and brought them to my husband's office in Santa Cruz. I now have the quilts here in Bonny Doon!!!!

My next job will be to create a system for distributing them to your kids.

Your job, if you would like to have a quilt for your children, is to contact me through Facebook Messenger or by email (pking964@hotmail.com) to request them. Tell me their name(s), age and the best way to contact you.

If we get more than 66 requests, we'll draw names from a hat and the first 66 children/youth will get to choose their favorite.

If we get fewer than 66 requests, I'll open the requests to the SLV area.

Please - if you have already received a quilt from the CZU Lightning Quilt group, please leave these for others.

I'll be working on a place to spread them out and show them, and I'll figure out days for distributing.

I'll post good-quality photos of all of them as soon as I can.

I'm so grateful to my quilt-queen sister, her quilting buddies, and my family members for getting these quilts from Soldotna-Kenai, Alaska to us."

- Patty King



 

No comments: